Friday, 9 September 2011

September 9th 2011

Today was the last day of our first week. We spent it firing pellets of paint at each other in a woodland.

Paintball isn’t that enjoyable, in my experience. I’d never done it before, and – as was pointed out to me by a fellow cadet – there aren’t that many activities which can include 200 people at the same time in the “teambuilding” sort of vein. So paintball it was. We were given camouflage to wear, and heavy plastic masks which made breathing a bit of a chore. Split up into groups of 50, we then went through the gun/paintball explanations and began our first game. I’ll be honest, I’m not much interested in running around and being fired at with little balls of paint. It’s just not my idea of a good time. I have trouble seeing anything to do with any kind of gun as a pleasurable activity. I made it through two games, during the second of which I was hit on the back of my head by a member of my own team (it happens – armbands can be hard to make out – but it doesn’t make it any less painful), and thought maybe that was enough. I sat with a few others of the same mindset who I hadn’t spoken to previously, so that was nice. All that running around is a bit tiring, so when we got back in the middle of the afternoon, my roommate and I and no doubt several others went straight to sleep for a while.

I’ve had a quiet evening – washing uniform, watching Superbad in the TV room – but it’s probably just as well as I have an early morning tomorrow for this Greenwich trip. I’ll report back on Monday, after my first class!

No comments:

Post a Comment