Tuesday, 24 January 2012

South

Late last night, we crossed the equator. I've never been in the southern hemisphere before (although to be honest, in the middle of the ocean...nothing's changed. I haven't checked the sinks for water swirling the other way yet). No line-crossing ceremonies - thank God, because it was around midnight and I would not have been a happy bunny to have been awoken from the middle of my ten hour sleep!

I think today might have been the breaking point in my weird sleep pattern. Slept for too long, woke up too early, but now have made a plan for doing something after dinner so I have the impetus to stay awake longer instead of just sitting in my cabin and reading til I nod off! I'll still be reading, but Collision Regulations, up on the bridge, with a flashlight, so I'll be forced to concentrate.

I've had a really busy and fun day but I'm sitting here struggling to think of things to write - probably still getting too much information into my brain during the day and now unable to sift/filter... I do have a couple of practical points for anyone about to go to sea or thinking of doing so:

- Bring a suitcase you can carry up steps. I struggled up the gangway with my two!
- Girls, if you're joining in hot climes, bring plenty of bras. The non-bridge work you do means they will be soaked with sweat. Which sounds disgusting, but hey ho. And trust me, you'll be too knackered to be washing them every night!
- Make one of the first things you do ascertain where you can drink water. I was dehydrated as soon as I got on board and found out later that they hadn't changed the filters in most of the water fountains! Cholera here I come.
-  Bring notebooks to write/draw things in. Loads of notebooks.

I think that's your lot for today. On Friday we have an emergency drill which should be fun, then at the weekend we're in our next port, in Mauritius!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kat! Your blog postings are very entertaining! Do you think it would be alright if we used some of your stories on the Maersk Group social media accounts, like Facebook?

    Kind regards,
    Anna Granholm-Brun
    Maersk Group Branding and Marketing
    acg012@maersk.com

    ReplyDelete